The Beacon Falls Public Library is committed to providing the best possible resources to meet the educational and informational needs of the residents of Beacon Falls. To that end, the library has six laptops for patron use. Four laptops are running Windows 7 and two laptops are running Windows 8. Each computer has Microsoft Office installed along with various other programs. The Library has a wireless network, which patrons may access after staff inputs the required code.
The following computer use guidelines are based on policies adopted by the Library Board of Trustees:
- All Beacon Falls residents who wish to use the library computers must have a valid public library card, whose number will need to be entered into the computer’s home screen (LibData = computer management system).
- Users under the age of 16 who wish to use the library computers must have a parent or legal guardian complete the permission form. Forms are kept on file and only need to be completed once.
- Use of the computer is limited to one hour, including time required to print. Time may be extended at the discretion of library staff as long as there are no users waiting.
- Patrons are encouraged to save to individual cloud storage or USB devices. Any content saved to the computer will be deleted when the computer is restarted.
- A printing charge of $.15 for a single page or 2 pages for $.25 (8 pages / $1) applies.
- Library staff shall be solely responsible for replacing the paper in the printer/copier. Please notify staff if you wish to use your own paper. Printing charges still apply.
- Computers may be reserved up to 24 hours in advance. The Beacon Falls Public Library will make every effort to accommodate users but cannot guarantee the availability of specific computers.
- When finished using the computer, users need to log off LibData (computer management system) at the top right of the screen.
- Users must log off 15 minutes before closing. LibData (computer management system) may unexpectedly log users off the system and shut down the computers if it is close to closing time.
- Users may not download software. Please present software download requests to the Library Director or other staff members.
- Upon logging on to the computers, it is understood that users are responsible for any and all damage to the library computers or peripherals. Fees will be based on repair and/or replacement costs.
- Food or beverages are not permitted on the tabletops where computers are in use. Users are expected to leave the premises to partake of food or beverages.
- The Library reserves the right to modify and change the policies, procedures or guidelines at any time.